Day 17 - Oxymoron


W 0.1 / N 0 / H 90 / P 32

Over the cutoffs today, so no transfusions.  Probably platelets tomorrow though.

The GCSF injection (see yesterdays post) turns out to be not covered by "FairPharmacare", and is not provided unless you are an "In Patient" in the hospital.

Dr. Z gave me a prescription for it, as he has to, to follow policy, but said that it would not be covered, but that extended medical would should cover it.

Well, that's all fine and dandy, but even with extended medical, it's only 80% coverage, and the drug is $3200, and they "Get Around" to sending you the cheque.  I am on welfare, so where is $640 for the deductible going to come from ?  We're already borrowing money so I can stay at the lodge.  Heck, I still still owe money for property taxes !

So,  I said "No.  There is no way that can happen, so they are just going to have to worry about paying for all the drugs for fixing my liver later.  Maybe I need to be talking to BCTV.  I am sure there are some American Republicans who would just love this story."

Dr. Z is a great guy, and I am telling him this stuff with a smile and a humorous tone, but his hands are tied as well.

Magically, they found some GCSF laying around on the floor for today's shot.
I guess I have to go through this game of chicken every day.

Healthcare by Committee (Government) has some serious flaws, but given a few more tens of years, we might get it worked out as good as Germany or France. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Richard
I was just on Sonja's blog and I saw the cute t-shirts she made for the boys. I didn't tell her, but I think I recognized them from one of Elena's textbooks--they are "fungal-fighting-microbes" that attack crappy fungal infections. According to scientific studies, you just need to rub them across the affected area (as in big hugs) and the fungal thingys disappear. I am sure that it will work as you have two available sources--sorry, three, (I forgot about the floor!) Hope you have a good day. Elva

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012