Someone's like me.

I was back in at the LBMT Thursday afternoon for blood work, hickman line flushing, and news.

The good news is that there seems to be a very good chance that they have found a bone marrow match for me.  Dr. Bernard, who gave me the news, said a "95% chance" - mostly to give an out, as there are a lot of things that can go wrong still.

I don't know how far along they are in the process with the donor but they are looking at starting the transplant in the next 2-3 weeks, early-mid October. 

I will know more shortly after a yet to be scheduled meeting with Dr. Nevill.
So, if you are one of the recent people who signed up for the registry, and have been magically called as a match, you might very well be my blood brother/sister so to speak - lol.

The coming transplant scares the willies out of me as it will be the most intensive event I have been through in this whole thing, since the start over a year and a half ago. 

Any grief, discomfort, etc.  I have been though will pale in comparison to what I might be going through during the transplant.  It's also a very "all or nothing" procedure since they will be destroying my marrow beyond repair - so the transplant better work, or I am in a bad way.

I am not scheduled to go back until Wednesday now, but there are a whole bunch of tests (including another biopsy) they will be doing on me in the next few weeks, so there will be some appointments yet to be made.

Comments

Great news Richard -- scary for sure but now you have a really good chance to beat the hell out of this bloody leukemia once and for all!!! Keep up the good fight and know that we are all fighting for you through our constant thoughts and prayers. Hope all the testing goes well and the transplant is a go. Big hugs and much love to you, Sonja, Aj & Dexter -- Aunt Mary & Uncle Murray
Misty Dueck said…
Best wishes Richard. My aunt just went through the transplant process and although she was tired and weak, sometimes quite nauseous...she has been told the donor cells have completely taken over her body. This is really great news for her and I really hope in time, you get it too!! All the best during the whole thing...it will be worth the risk, no matter what the end result. You always have to do everything you can to fight...and I believe you will win Richard!!! Good luck!!
I'm pretty sure the donor knows. I think that's why they said 95% chance. I'm guessing the person's been notified and they're just running extra tests to be sure. I think that's why they've given a time-frame to start in 2-3 weeks.

But then again....

If there's one thing I've learned through all this, it's never to assume you know ANYTHING!
Anonymous said…
Richard, that is absolutely amazing! Wow! You've got a blood bro/sis out there. I'm really rooting for you and so thrilled to hear this great news!

Ryan
Anonymous said…
AWESOME! You have been so string all this way..now you can see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Our prayers are being listened to!

Kim and Nathan
Anonymous said…
Richard,
this is wonderful news. we will be sending all the good vibes, prayers, whatever it takes your way. if there is anything that we can do from afar, please let us know. until then, keep fighting the fight and know there is so much love and support coming to you from many different angles.
/hugs
stacy and ryan (emotyn and rakile)
Anonymous said…
Great news Richard. I know how ominous the procedure seems, but I know so many people who have come out the other end and are now completely cured. We'll soon be toasting your new marrow and the pain, nausea, fatigue, etc., etc. will be a memory. Until then, I'm thinking of you, Sonja, and the boys everyday!
Aili

Popular posts from this blog

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012