Vacation is over.. Get back to work.

5:30, Alarm goes off.  Smack it for the next 15-20 minutes.  Shower, dress in an easy to remove shirt.  Kids wake up, chaos, everyone in the car and we're on the road heading for VGH for a 9:30 appointment. 

I think they scheduled the Port Man bridge twinning to coincide with my relapse.  They could have at least told me - I would have planned better.

We get to the LBMT clinic, Sonja switches to the drivers seat and heads off with the boys to a park.  I head up, check off my name on the board, grab my chart, select my room, take and record my vitals, and wait for the nurse to come draw my blood.

It's like riding a bike.  It all comes back to you.

In an unusual twist of events, I didn't need a transfusion, so I was released around noon.  A record performance.

The current plan :

Tomorrow, I get to go to an Abby clinic for blood work (Yay!)

Friday morning I stop eating and drinking and I go to LBMT (Vancouver), get more blood work, tanked up with platelets, more blood work, and then off to surgery to have my fancy new hickman line installed.  They're all the rage for the fall season. 

After that, we get to head home, in rush hour, on a Friday.  I'll have an extra hole, some tubes, and plenty of drugs, so I probably will not notice much thankfully.  Sucks to be Sonja though.

Then, back again on Saturday for them to clean up the mess that is low platelet surgery.

Among all this, there is the possibility that a bed will open up and I will be admitted.  Could be Friday, could be Saturday, Sunday, etc..

I don't remember my numbers from today and I can't find my little piece of paper
- sorry Mom :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
You may be have Leukemia, but at least you're still funny!
erica
Anonymous said…
rumour has it that the new fad for winter is 'cancer free'. i think it will look great on you!

keep your spirits up.
thinking of you,
dione + family
Anonymous said…
No doubt about the twinning of the bridge-darn port mann! Private jet would be so much easier. What's the lbtm acronym-whatever it is? Where are 'normal' platelets supposed to be at? Going through this stuff must make you an 'honourary oncologist' eh? Thinking about you & fam! Kick some leukemia a*@ eh!
Ryan
Ryry
Anonymous said…
You are truly amazing! The humour you maintain through it all is admirable.... We'll be praying for a ROUTINE hickman procedure....you know,
"unmemorable" :)

Nathan and Kim
Anonymous said…
This looks like I told all my pals to go write to Richard- LOL
E.
Ryan,
LBMT is the outpatient
Leukemia Bone Marrow Transplant
unit.

Hopefully Richard will respond with regular platelet levels. I think they're supposed to be around 120-150.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012