5 years ago

I haven't turned the computer on since my last post on Wednesday.

I am still at the hospital because my fever has been too high.  I might get an opportunity to move out on Monday but it doesn't look promising. 

Thursday:
Sonja brought out the boys for a visit in the late afternoon.  They left early in the day, and headed to GranDan's (Sonja's Dad) for a visit and lunch.
They watched a movie and ate their dinner as they stretched out on my bed resting against me.  They lasted about 2 hours which is a new high, especially considering it was the end of a very full day for them.

W 0 H 84 P 8, so I was in for a bag of platelets and that bumped me up to 29.

Friday:
5 years ago, Sonja and I had one hell of a party, and thanks to everyone who helped pull it off.  Fast forward 5 years, and I am getting the very tight stitches removed from my Hickman line.
Sonja comes to the hospital to stay the night, and most of the next day, as the kids stay and Grandma and Papa's (Thank you so much !)

The hospital bed is not huge, but not small either, and if you love some one enough, you can both cuddle up quite comfortably.

W 0 H 75 P 19 - A double dip of Red and Platelets for today.

Saturday:
Fever starts going higher, and it's a constant battle between hot and cold cycles.  Starting around 1am (Sonja had retired to the cot by now) my body wanted to bring my temperature up to fight the infection/virus/whatever and that happens by full body deep shivers.  It's very effective, but when you're in my state, a 20 min full body workout is not something you want to be doing at 1am.

The fever battle continues on, and by the morning, I am a total mess.  I ache all over from the shivering bouts.  They give Tylenol for to keep the temperature down, but they can only give it every 6 hours.  It also makes me sweat like a pig, and really feel the fever, in that I am too hot for blankets, etc.   The temperature drops, the body says "Hold on there, we were heading for 40° C (104 F) and now it's dropping ? Kick in the shivers !"

Around 5am they gave me something narcotic to keep the shivers at bay.  At 6am bloodwork time, I was pretty "fuzzy".


I feel really shitty, weak, and sore.  Thankfully Sonja was here, and that helped a lot.


I have manged to anticipate the shivers, and I manage to ward of a few bouts by just letting myself stay hot.  The highest reading was 39.9, but they only check it like 2-3 times a day, and I wasn't in a mood to bother doing it myself more then that.

Sonja's Dad picked her up from the hospital after 4 (parking at his place and getting dropped off saves $40 in parking fees)

I had freezes for dinner as I couldn't think about eating the dinner tray without feeling nauseous. 

In the night they switched me to yet another antibiotic.

W 0 H 84 P 20 (no transfusions today)

Sunday:

Still running a 38ish fever, but I feel much better.  Enough to get out of bed, sit on the chair, and turn the laptop on.

Only one bout of shivers in the night.  The newer anti-biotic seems to be working, and they found a bug in the cultures and are just waiting for identification.  If my temperature stabilizes and further cultures are clear, then I will not have to have my Hickman line removed and reinstalled.

W 0.1 H 74 P 7 (First sign of white cells returning - and both blood and platelet transfusions for today)

Comments

Hickman Line taken out and reinstalled?
wth for?
Anonymous said…
Richard, thinking about you, Sonja and the boys every day--and praying that there will be more "ups" than "downs". Hugs to all of you--Elva

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012