So, here I am.  Again.  Level 15 at VGH.  I am in a room with another guy who is also on his second kick at the can. 

Last night was shit.  The hickman surgery sites were so bad that the pain felt it was coming from everywhere.  Back, Arms, Neck, etc.  I normally sleep on my side, and the pain was preventing that.  They gave me a codeine, then another codeine and it wasn't having any effect.

Just sitting up, on the edge of the bed became the least painful.  I guess at some point, while sitting on the edge, I figured I would just rest my head on the bed table.  It must have been comfortable enough, because  I fell asleep and Shoban (my nurse) woke me up.

He spoke with a doc and I was loaded up with some Morphine.  I fell asleep in about 10 minutes, and stayed asleep till dawn (about 3 hours).

Up early this morning for standard chest x-rays, and later today/tomorrow I will be getting an ECHO heart scan to make sure my heart can take the onslaught.

When I got back, breakfast was waiting.  I shuddered at what would be under the green plate dome of doom.  Some steam soaked cracker sized toast ?  Scrambled egg like substance ?  No, it was to sausage links and pancakes. 

I now remember that the first breakfast is usually passable.  I guess it is a marketing ploy - most patients are only here for 1 breakfast, and will walk away with the "It's wasn't that bad" impression, allowing them to continue their master plan.

I didn't eat any of the 'dinner' last night.  Mashed Potatoes are the only thing that should retain the shape of the spoon that plated it.  Spinach should not.

I am on IV Antibiotics now, since I have developed a fever.  Yadda Yadda.

There is another experimental track I can go on.  It's a phase 2 study using the same chemo drugs I would normally be getting, but wrapped in a fat molecule so that they don't get destroyed by the body as much before getting to be effective.  Phase 1 showed the same side effects as the regular methods, just less severe.  Chemo will probably start Monday after I talking with Dr. Nevill.

Mmm lunch arrived - brown bread, butter, and a shaving of cooked to death roast beef.

I couldn't find a good image of the spinach - here is a reasonable approximation:

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Richard,
As I was reading your blog I kept thinking, "is morphine any better than codeine, can they give him some of that?" b/c I've had morphine before & felt good and was in my happy lala place in my head. So then you got it anyways...glad it helped. Sucks that you were in so much pain you couldn't even get comfortable to fall asleep.
Not sure if this would help or how attached to the hard meat you're getting but as a veggie I've noticed that some of the meals I get seem better (more edible) than the meat ones. Just saying. However that spinach sounded mmm mmm good-lol.
Are you taking any visitors? I might be able to swing by Wed. Let me know.
Ryan
Ryan,
He would love a visitor. I'm answering because I'm not sure if he'll respond to comments or not. Message me and I'll give you his email address and cell number if you don't already have it.
He'll be on day 3 of chemo and just starting to feel sick by that day, but I think he welcomes the change of pace that company brings, even when he's sick.
Anonymous said…
mmmmmm spinach
e.
PS- my vote is for the experimental drug
Anonymous said…
Hi Richard:

Just sending you lots of loving hugs with all those positive wishes that this time around you won't have as hard a time ... obviously I need to work more on my positive thoughts!!
Trust the hospital dietition to serve spinach. He/she must have grown up watching Popeye, and hoping for the same effect!
Thanks for the updates ... can't believe how pain can stimulate your funny-bone so much!
Love ya bunches, and saying my prayers ... A.Elaine.
Dude said…
Yup, anyone is welcome to come visit :)

All this week they will be shooting me up with chemo, so I might not be very entertaining, or even awake, most of the time.

Anyone adverse to vomit, or the injection of strange coloured liquids into someone might want to wait. Heck, even I don't want to be here.

Give Sonja or I a call for details, as I don't want to put them on the blog.
ChrissyD said…
Hey Richard, ive been reading up and thinking of you lots. SO glad u passed up on that spinach pie... i think i will never again eat it!! haha.. u make me laugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012