Baby I'm Coming Home


So, they feel that I am good to come home, and that was their full intention today.

But, AJ still had a fever, Dexter had just gotten over his, and my numbers were still NOT going up.

As I said to the Nurse, "I don't know how much say I have in this, but with my son having a fever at home, that should break today, and with my number being quite low even after the transfusion, I would prefer to go home tomorrow instead of today".

I explained the situation to the Doctor when he showed up, and after talking about my numbers, risks, etc. he agreed that tomorrow would be fine. I might have played up my concern, and enhanced the level of AJ & Dexters fever, but both Sonja and Mom were very concerned about me coming home too soon.

I also had my own concerns about leaving on a Holiday, when my regular people were not around.

Later, my day nurse, who was very nice, mentioned that it will be much better checking out tomorrow, since all the normal staff would be here, like the section pharmacist, to go over things I need for checkout.

I knew it, and my nurse from yesterday intimated it when she quietly mentioned, with concern, that it looks like they were thinking of sending me home, right before my Doctor arrived.

Also, I overheard the unit clear on the phone last evening talking to someone, and saying that their healthiest patient, a young man, had just developed a fever, so he didn't think any beds would be available tomorrow. I am the only dude in this section.

I technically had a fever with 37.6 at that point, but not if you take my standard evening temperature into account ;)

I wound up needing 2 units of platelets today anyway, so they wouldn't have been able to send me straight home anyway.

I am ready to come home, and while still messed up, I am doing very good compared to others here. I also feel the desire to make the bed available to the person who needs it, even if it means I might have to suffer with a cold/flu/feeling icky as well as having to drive in.

It is going to be much better for the person coming in to be starting with a non-holiday crew, and hopefully get to start their journey with Shoban, who is the most thorough, and put together nurse on this ward.

So, Sonja is coming in tonight to stay with me, Mom is going to watch the boys (Thanks Mom!), and if everything is still good tomorrow, I will be coming home as soon as I can in the morning.

Comments

Kristi K said…
That is wonderful news Richard! Enjoy your night with Sonja watching the fireworks and hope things go well in the morning.

Kristi (Sonja's friend)
BK said…
Hey R. I have vivid memories of watching the early cycle of A&E's daytime mysteries while admitted. I don't think i was in for more than a week or so at a time, but i can't watch Murder She Wrote without a giggle. After a week of laying about, not being able to read, play on the computer, or pretty much anything but listen to music or vegg-out on the lame TV channels... I'd watch the same episode nearly 3x per day. Of course the soaps became watchable within a day or two. Got "into" Days, Y&R and i'm sure another one. Weirdly enough, Y&R had one of their 'girls' go through leukemia. Her treatment appeared different than mine, but then again, who wants to see a hottie lose her hair for more than an episode? My fam also worried about me being 'let out' too soon. Heck I did too. But really, fevers are controllable at home too. I don't recall but i had several fevers that were very, very high. but being at home is just about as good for symptom management as in a clinic. But it is very good to be safe about fevers, colds, etc. that are in the home before taking your Immune.Sys/AutoExec.bac into that environment. Best of luck with mums and spouses cohabiting. Your mum will be a great help to Sonja as she will eventually :) feel that she can take a moment of two out of the day to recharge. Wish everyone well, and especially for the 'counts' the Docs are looking for. Remember, you're paying to be poisoned systematically, and you better dam* [naughty word police edit]-well get you're money's worth!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012