Another room with a view...

Well, here I am again.  Sonja and the boys got me all settled into T15.
In the deluxe corner suite all to my self, with my own shower, and a window.

Sometimes I think they assign the rooms based on how shitty a time you're about have.  If so, I am in for a doosie. 

Thankfully the TV is very 'staticy', there are some noisy drain pipes running behind my closet, and the view is over towards UBC instead of the far nicer False Creek area, so things might not be too bad.  A research nurse mentioned that there are a few bigger units, so that's a good sign too.


Chemo starts tomorrow for three days.  It's a pretty high dose of some really nasty stuff that I can't remember right now.  It metabolizes into some other nasty stuff that will mess up my bladder if it sticks around there.

You know what that means ?  They turn me into a high volume urine production factory.  Right now I am on 3 bags of fluids, and they will be pumping it in fast and furious for the next few days.  If everything works, I will be pumping it out fast and furious for the next few days.

I was 'sized up' for the Cobalt-60 radiation machine on Wednesday.  I now have target marks (+), in felt pen and silver stain, on my front and back so they can line me up under the machine, twice a day for three days starting Monday.

The transplant is going to happen on Wednesday afternoon/evening after my last radiation treatment.  That becomes Day 1 of 100.

Also, after my "pain day" on Tuesday, I had the "bummer" meeting with Dr. Nevill.  The one where he goes over all the crap I am going to be going through, all the risks, and outcomes, etc.  I had another "bummer" meeting with Dr. Nevill's stand in this afternoon, and he went over the numbers again.

The good news is that his view of my chances of getting the graph vs host reaction is around 50% instead of 80%.  The bad news is that he feels the over-all long term (5 yr) survival rate is still 40% (Dr. Nevill said 40-50% based on age).  Remember, without a bone marrow transplant, my survival rate is 0%.

I have been getting a swarm of emails forwarded to me by Sonja from an "Online Party" she threw for me via Facebook.  I didn't know anything about it until she sent me a huge batch of emails.  Thank you all for your prayers and wishes !  I'll take all I can get !

Mom is coming in on Sunday, and will be staying at the Cancer Lodge for a few weeks.  I feel bad that she is coming over just after she got back home to Bud, from Nova Scotia, but I couldn't keep her away, and I welcome the company and support.  Also, after the last chemo, and with the possible really crappy time I might be having once the radiation, chemo, and transplant effects start to hit, I felt I might be needing a more permanent lifeline to the outside world (ie, Wendy's & McDonalds).


Sonja will be in on Sunday with the boys for a visit, and then back again after work on Wednesday to be here until Saturday.  Her plan was to be here during the transplant on Thursday, but today we found out that it has been moved ahead to late Wednesday.  It might be in the evening so she may still make it in time.  The actual transplant is pretty boring - they just hook me up, and let it drip in.  There is a small chance of some nasty, but manageable, reactions though.

Due to the fact that it might be in the evening does suggest that it is coming from quite far away though.  Maybe Europe ?  I wonder if I could qualify for an EU passport after transplant.. Humm..

Comments

Anonymous said…
Richard - use your great sense of humor and the strong love of all your family and friends in the coming days.... You are at the very top of our thoughts and prayers -- all our love Aunt Mary & Uncle Murray
Anonymous said…
Hey Richard,

I've been thinking about you lots and hoping things go well. Can I say good luck? Ok, just did. Sorry, I'm the only person on the planet not on facebook but if I was I would have added some good vibes to Sonja's party too. Best wishes and big hugs! Ryan
Anonymous said…
thumbs up to you and lots of good vibes and prayers are going your way from all over the world. A donor appeared from somewhere when none were hanging around so that is positive so lets keep UP!!!! Your Mommy will see you on Sun. Hugs and kisses to you, Love Mom and Bud
Tony said…
Richard,
Your number one blog stalker wishes you all the best in the coming days. I'm in Toronto right now at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Grants and Awards event. Stay positive!!!! We are all with you 1000%. If you're up for a visit I'll swing by when I'm back in town!! Take care buddy!!!
Tony :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012