The 5th times the charm ? No.



So, it's Day 1, again.

It's an afternoon start, and I am in early for a Lumbar Puncture (LP) to draw fluid for testing, and then an injection of Chemo right into the spinal column/Brain Pan.

I am on Blood Thinners to prevent a clot I got after the hospital chemo, so I had to stop them temporarily.
They needed to wait on my blood test results to make sure the clottting was working proppery before the LP.

My Noon LP, became a 1:00 LP, then a "just before 2 LP".

Didn't finish until 2:30.

Attempt 1.

Freezing Needle. Ow a bit more then normal.
Lumbar Needle Insertion - He forgot to tell me, so it caught me of guard and jumped.
Goes in. Fair bit of discomfort, not so much pain, but the very dull sucking icky feeling for the Bone Marrow (BM)
Failed to get in the right place - No draw.

Attempt 2
Goes in ok, again, the sucking feeling, a bit more pain this time.
then ZOINKS, he hit a nerve heading down for my right leg, and I feel like I just got electrocuted. My lungs contract involuntarily and a make a very weird yelp/scream, and the right leg jerks. A wave of pins and needles heads down the leg.

My legs still work. Very Happy about that, but now even more nervous.

Attempt 3
Still no luck, but a lot more actual pain this time.

Attempt 4
Call in the Pinch Hitter.
The doctor who did my first BM came in to have a crack at it.
New Freezing - Deep Freezing. Ow.
Puncture - OW.
Still no luck.

Attempt 5 This will work now.
OW - MF SOAB OW
They give up.
Ow.
They are going to have to do it under XRay to guide the needle in. Bones are too strong/thick.

Contrary to popular belief - Milk does NOT make a body strong. It's genetics, and possible Diet Pepsi.

So, yeah, not having a good day.

Then they gave me the chemo...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012