Day 49 - Minor Setback, Hanging with the geezers.

Good news - Sonja and I (Mostly Sonja) removed and installed the new toilet in the main bathroom on Saturday.  The old one was original with the house (circa 1970), and that made it pretty hard to get out.  The nuts were rusted down to balls, so we had to lift the whole thing out instead of the tank and bowl.

The old one was leaking.  We thought it was just condensation, but then it became worse.  I was hoping for just a wax seal replacement, but given the state of the toilet, and the amount of work and parts needed to put the old one back, we bit the bullet and got a new toilet, and some more debt on the Home Depot card.  They had a HST off sale, and we get a $50 rebate from the city, so it will work out to under $100 once the smoke clears.  The wax ring was shot, as expected, but the flange plate was good except for a loose screw which was filled, glued, and replaced with an oversize one.  Water damage was minor, and confined to the overlay subfloor.

Long and short, a huge worry off my mind.

Bad news - Sunday I started to notice a burning at the end of taking a leak.  I've never had a bladder infection before, but it certainly sounded like the start of it.  By the morning there was a red tinge to the last drops (blood).  I was in this morning for 10am, and on the drive in I called and checked myself back into the lodge in preparation for worst.  I can't commute every day, it's too expensive, too draining, and too dangerous.  Thankfully they had a spot available, and until the 24th if I need it.

After going over my symptoms with Dr. Mary, it seems that one of the chemo drugs I was on can rot out the lining of the bladder and cause the symptoms I am having.  I knew about it while I was having the chemo, but there is also the latent affects - which could start about now.  She feels that this is what it is, but they have taken urine samples to rule out other things, and I have a prescription for some antibiotics to be on the safe side.  Either way, they are not too concerned about it, but they decided to bring me in for fluids on Wednesday still keeping my Thursday appointment.  Good thing I hedged my bet on the lodge.

Met with the Dr. that takes care of the diabetes side of things, and there is a plan I will follow now to try and get the sugar levels down to normal, fighting against the drugs that are keeping them up.  There is a lot of pricking, and dosage fiddling, but getting these in line will help with my fatique, etc.  The drugs get lowered as time goes on, so will the need for insulin.

So, that's my Monday, and I feel everything is working out for the best so far.  I'm hanging with the old folk at the lodge, watching the world turn, and resting.

Comments

Aili said…
Bummed you're back in the Lodge. Remember that your job is to rest so that your body can fight. Bryan always found that to be the hardest part.
Thinking about you lots.
Do another update!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012