Day 36, 37 - You're Fired !


Day 36 - Thursday
Ok, so today was another decision day.  Would the stat's be stabilized or would I get a transfusion ?

Determined to be going home no matter what, I had checked out of the Lodge at 9am, and my luggage was down at the reception.  I was still there until around 12:30 when I said my goodbyes to some of the other inmates, and left for my 1pm appointment.  

W 3.7 / N 1.7 / H 100 / P 60
All Up with last transfusion on Sunday.

So, they start consulting if they should remove my Hickman line or not.  Just after 3pm, the decision comes down that they will remove it.

At this point I feel it looks good that I will be able to have my next appointment be a week away, or at least until Monday, thus giving me the weekend.

Around 3:15, Dr. Teshpar comes in to remove my Hickman line.  Most of the female doctors are more compassionate, but have a lot of difficulty when it comes to the "Causing Pain" stuff like biopsies, etc.


Dr. Teshpar was not happy about having to cause me the discomfort of removing the Hickman line.

To remove the line, they put their foot on your chest, and pull on the line with all their might until your right side face, neck, jaw, flesh, all pull down out through the hole and finally give up holding onto the "Cuff" and it all comes out in a bloody gush of pain.

Well, not exactly like that, but that's how it felt.  No foot on the chest either.

So, the line was out, pressure was applied to my neck for 5 minutes by Dr. T, and then another 30 minutes by a large saline bag.

The nurse, Linda, not one of my regulars but one I have had a few times, came in with my Appointment for Dr. Neville in January, and my Bloodwork order that I can take to the clinic in Abbotsford.

No Monday appointment.

No one week appointment next Thursday.

No appointments period.

Done.

Adios.

Thanks for participating, good luck, and enjoy your life, stop by and say Hi sometime.

wow.

I must say I was a little stunned.  With no hickman line, there is no need for me to be going to LBMT for checkups, and I will only be going there again if something comes up and I need a future transfusion.

I get myself dressed, go to the bathroom, and head out.  None of my nurses are there.  No one to say goodbye to.  That's probably good given my mental state at the time.

I head out to the parking lot, get into the car that has been sitting there since Sunday, and drive to the lodge.

None of my good buddies were there to say goodbye to again and share the turn of events, but I did say goodbye earlier, and plan to visit.  I did get to give the scoop to our favorite night nurse, and a few of the other guests. 
I was planning on hanging around until later, and maybe catching diner with some of the guys, but it was just after 4, and they would not be around until 5.

I decide to head on home.

It felt wonderful to be heading home, but it also felt in the back of my mind that I had just been fired from the place I have been working for the last 6 months with 10 minutes to get out, and been evicted from my apartment all on on the same day.


Day 37
What can I say.

I am home, and Cancer free.

Thank you all for participating.

Comments

Al & Bren said…
Yikes..excellent!! Wow 6 months have gone by..well it is finally over and I am sooo glad no more hickman line and now Richard it is the time to enjoy and be grateful for what you have and heal now.
love
auntie Bren and Uncle Al
take lots of time for yourself and get reaquainted with living.
Dee said…
So happy for you and your family!!! You have been so incredibly strong - thank you so much for sharing your inspiring journey.
Anonymous said…
Wow!!! I left my laptop in Halifax when I went to Baddeck (by accident!!!) and just arrived back to this great news! You have been so strong though all of this and now deserve to do all those things that you have waited so long to resume doing with your family. Enjoy every minute of it. Christmas has certainly arrived early at your house!!! What a wonderful gift all those talented doctors and nurses have been able to give you--let`s hope that they are able to give the same gift to all your buddies that are still back there. Take care of yourself, you still need lots of time to rest and get your strength back. Have a wonderful Christmas!!
Elva
Beth said…
Wooohooo! Congrats!
Kristi K said…
Wonderful news! Congrats!
Unknown said…
Feels good i bet!
Enjoy that beautiful family of yours! I know they've missed you!

Popular posts from this blog

Someone's like me.

Thurdsay - My New Nemisis ?

2012